Everyone and anyone, usually, have an inclination towards whitening their teeth, especially as 90 % of the normal diet consumed by us is composed of tooth staining foods and beverages. A whiter smile leads to a more confident and stronger approach at home and in the work place.
Before any teeth whitening procedure is conducted scaling and polishing is an essential procedure.
Scaling and Polishing – It, basically, includes usage of an ultrasonic device which, along with water, is responsible for removing the stains on your teeth. After removal of stains and deposits a polishing session is initiated. Using a rubber cup or a brush your teeth are polished and they end up with a smooth and glossy surface. Patients report as finding their teeth whiter after a session of scaling and polishing.
Top 5 Methods of Teeth Whitening
1. In-office whitening
- In-office whitening consists of almost a one hour session, in which the patient has the teeth coated with Peroxide based agents.
- This is done in sessions and a dentist has to carefully evaluate the teeth before using peroxide to prevent the deleterious effects of peroxide on the teeth.
- Peroxide based agents come in either light activated or non-light activated forms and have the same efficacy or end-result.
- It is the dentist’s preference of the type of agent he prefers to use in the practice.
- Drawback- The whitening effects usually last from somewhere about 6 months to 2 years and might need to be topped up once in a while via other methods to remain permanent.
Similarly, some degree of sensitivity is to be expected in the first few days and post-treatment instructions should be followed religiously.
2. Tray Based Whitening
- In this process peroxide based agents of lesser concentration are used along with trays customized professionally by your dentist.
- These trays ensure proper coverage of the teeth as well as a proper fit.
- Then the dentist provides you with a peroxide based gel and shows you the method of use.
- It is applied once a day for 30 to 45 minutes or sometimes an all-night wear would be needed for a few days.
- The benefit of this method is that there is lesser sensitivity, but the drawbacks are that it takes a longer time to show its effect and patient compliance is needed to show
3. At-home teeth whitening
- This can consist of various dentifrices or toothpastes which are available for you to use at home.
- It is to be remembered that peroxide is not safe to be used bythe patient themselves without proper evaluation by a dentist.
4. Internal bleaching
- Another method, which is a sub division of in-office whitening, is the internal bleaching of dead/ non-vital teeth which have undergone root canal treatment.
- This is a procedure carried out with the same peroxide based bleaching agents but it is done from within the tooth, by keeping the peroxide agents inside the tooth.
5. Home remedies
- Baking soda- Brushing your teeth with a pinch of baking soda applied on your toothbrush bristles can whiten your teeth effectively
- Lime- Rubbing your teeth with lime can remove external stains and bring about brightness.
- Strawberries- Brushing your teeth with a paste of strawberries eliminates the stains and gives your teeth a glossy white look.
- All the above mentioned remedies should be performed just once or twice in a week or they may corrode your teeth.
Do you remember Pac-Man, the video game icon of the 80 &nb p; Meanwhile he di appeared, but we found him and we finally realized how he ate all...
Large cale dental clinic in Tijuana, Mexico u ually have a platoon of denti t waiting to attend to your need However, you might want to get...
During the 8 hour of leep a lot of thing happen in the mouth &nb p; The idea of tartar, carie , plaque or gingiviti hould not torment u and...